Thursday, January 5, 2012

God's Bit of Wood by Ousmane Sembène

I am sad to say that even though I have read a great deal of French literature, my passion for African literature was confined until recently to anglophone writers. I don't know why. It was a mistake! I absolutely loved this book. It really was the African Germinal, but by comparing it to Emile Zola's 19th century book about French miners, I in no way mean to diminish the originality of Ousmane's contribution. Germinal is one of my favorite novels of all time, and this one was equally good. It was so moving, and often sad, but also, incredibly uplifting. Unlike Germinal, however, it left me with a feeling of hope and inspiration. The ending is so much more promising than Zola's. I'm getting ahead of myself. There is so much to praise. 

First of all, Ousmane, who we recently lost, writes with a lyrical genius, a kind of epic prose that makes you want to linger on his every word. Secondly, he has such great insight into the imperial mentality, which has changed very little, whether we are talking about "formal" colonialism (this novel describes a railworker strike in 1940s ) or today's variety. He shows colonial mentalities for what they were and are-their paternalism, their patronizing condenscention, their contempt for the humanity of others. But he also has-this brings me to my third major point of praise- these great heroes, these simple men and women (he is such a great feminist!) who bring dignity and courage to everything they do and say. They find their own worth in the strike, and become fulfilled by it. 

Like Zola, Ousmane vividly and thrillingly evokes the privation and misery that working people who strike against a powerful corporation must endure, but unlike Zola, Ousmane's characters find themselves, their souls, and real meaning in their lives through striking-striking is what gives them the moral and intellectual power to force the colonists to recognize them as equals.

No comments:

Post a Comment